WED – Wake Equalizing Duct
Loewe Marine’s high energy efficiency wake equalizing duct (LHE-WED)
Wake Equalizing Duct = WED is a system for the improvement of ship propulsion and performance economy
WED-fiiting can be done from New Building or as retrofit.
- Reduction of fuel oil consumption 3-8%
- Reduction of vibrations by about 50%
- Can be done afloat – No docking needed
The main advantage lies in power saving, which results from various effects.
These may be differentiated as follows:
- Improvement of propeller efficiency from more axial flow and more equal velocity distribution over the disc area.
- Reduction of flow separation at the after body. This effect is most prevalent and finds expression in reduction of thrust deduction fraction.
- Generation of lift with a forward force component on the aerofoil section in a similar way though not as exaggerated as in the Kort-duct.
- Uniform flow reduces propeller excited vibrations.
- Reduction of propeller excited vibrations from decreased propeller tip loading in upper quadrants.
- Improvement of steering qualities from more straightened flow to the rudder. In spade rudders the longer upper sections become more effective from higher flow velocity.
- Improvement in course keeping ability from increased lateral plane area aft.
- No constructional changes and no modifications in propeller design are involved when the duct is fitted subsequently to an existing ship
Contact us for full reference list.
Get a call or get an email with further details on our products.
Get data sheet
Get an overview of the technical data, applications and design.
Sign up for newsletter
Did you find what you were looking for?
Help us make the product pages even better.